So the last couple of weeks we have been making a relatively relaxed effort in potty training the twins. We decided last week that we needed to be more firm in our efforts and take this seriously. Since the twins have started preschool and it's just easier for everyone involved that they get to this point, we decided to hunker down. And hunker down we have done.
The first couple of days went pretty good. No major accidents to speak of (since we really didn't leave the house much). And of course making a HUGE production out of potty time is an added incentive for them. One day last week Lauren did decide that playing in the garage and riding her quad was more important than going to the bathroom, letting it just flow was the next best option apparently. Grayson did very well that day. I think they talked about it and decided to switch it up the next day. Lauren did fabulous and well Grayson decided to use our carpet as his own personal urination station...twice! Who needs animals when you have kids!?! ughhhh One of the biggest issues we have had is that they don't want to go #2 on the toilet. 30 seconds after a diaper is on them, they let it rip, but not on the potty. Guess they are out of their comfort zone. We decided we had to put our foot down and even if it meant holding it until they couldn't take it anymore, they weren't getting diapers on anymore and the toilet was their only option. Or I guess still peeing themselves to, but whatever. So Saturday was our big test day. We did not put a diaper on them one time and decided to head out for several hours of errands. I did bring a back up pair of everything of course. They did great for about the first 3 hours and we made sure to do many potty trips just to be sure. By the time we got to our final destination, WalMart (of all places), Grayson decided that he wanted to freshen up the ENTIRE ISLE with his fragrant urine. Lauren has just told me she had to go potty and thought I would bring Grayson along. It wasn't two seconds later he was flooding about a 2' x 2' radius of the floor. I went through every emotion in a matter of a second. Shock, anger, disbelief that it was happening and then of course laughter. What else can you do? Heath and I just stood there, mortified of course, while Grayson pee'ed EVVVVVVERYWHERE and we just had to laugh or we would cry. Lauren on the other hand was still begging for a toilet. We bolted for the van (leaving little traces of our episode along the way) where we changed Grayson and then got sissy back into the restroom for her relief. Ughhhh The entire shopping trip wasn't complete though until we had gone back to the toilet another couple times only for false alarms from either one of them. Ughhh The joys of potty training.
The rest of the evening was spent at home listening to Lauren say she had to poo but never would. 38 trips to the potty later it happened....and a lot more. I will never understand how you master the potty training process AND teach a soon to be 3 year old how to wipe themselves all at the same time. I won't elaborate but am sure the visual is there. I believe we have now passed the going #2 in the potty phase and are onto yet another area of this maintenance process. ughhhh Needless to say I am stocking up on flushable wipes. Now we are off to church. I'm scared. I sure hope they scotch guard the benches. What a weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment